Saturday, May 1, 2010

May Day gardening

A great day for gardening...
Well, potting up our favourite plants ready for the move anyway!

We love gardening, and our garden has been beautiful here in Horsham... it will be with great sadness that we leave lots of plants that we have nurtured along here.
Especially our beautiful roses...
This is my Pat Austin rose - named after David Austin's wife. It is a stunning rose, with a beautiful perfume, but it is very, very thorny... Not sure how I would feel if I was the wife! This rose has travelled with us, and will likely continue on it's travels - sorry Horsham-ites!

Anyway, I have decided to try my hand at growing roses from cuttings... a bit adventurous, but nothing to lose. I read that one of the best times is the 3rd week in April - but that was Boy 1's birthday! So, the 1st May it was....
And here they are:

(Pretend they're all in terracotta pots - so they can 'breathe' - my theory is that the colour will cheer their root development!)

They look a bit sad don't they? Little sticks in sand... well, we'll see what happens.
I've already booked my pots into the Special Care Nursery (Nan and Pa's backyard) prior to the move!

And by the way, for those of you who objected most strongly to my severe daisy cut-backs in a previous post, this is what they look like now...

Nice huh?
Now will you trust me with the secateurs?
Actually, you will notice there is no photo of the fuschia at the moment - I believe I run second only to my mum with severe cutbacks, and hubby assures me that the fuschia is not nearly as severely cut back as it's first 'trim' six years ago... as performed by my mum... now that was a shock!

Here are all our plant cuttings in pots...

Happy May Day...

No comments: